Visualized: Guns and Murder in Florida

(Photo by Harvey Henkelmann/Wikimedia Commons.)

(Photo by Harvey Henkelmann/Wikimedia Commons.)

The horrific killing of 20 schoolchildren in Newtown, Conn., revived the debate over gun control in the United States. President Barack Obama outlined his controversial proposal for gun control Wednesday, including requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, strengthening the ban on assault weapons, and limiting high-capacity ammunition magazines.

What effect new gun control measures will have in Florida is still a matter of speculation and debate. But a review of Florida homicide data from 2000 to 2011, the most recent year for which such data is available, shows the impact of firearms in murders. In 2011, 70 percent of murders in Florida involved firearms, up from 56 percent in 2000. This data, presented in the visualization below, shows that over the last decade, the likelihood that a murder in Florida will involve a firearm has steadily increased.

– Data visualization by Grant Smith and research by Mc Nelly Torres

Print Friendly

7 Responses to “Visualized: Guns and Murder in Florida”

1. Donnie says:

Murder per 100K.
    In 2000 = 5.6
    In 2011 = 5.2

2. D says:

Its all good, but how many of the homicides were done with the legally purchased guns? How will the control limit criminals from obtaining guns?

3. Rich7553 says:

Investigative Reporting? Please, don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining. You have intentionally misled easily swayed people by omitting the statistic’s relationship to the total population, as Donnie has pointed out. Shame!

4. Richard B says:

Donnie does accurately cite FDLE stats for those two years for murder/100k.

However, when you measure the rate of murders by guns/100k you will find that the rate has risen from .0000307 per 100k to .0000365 per 100k. So FCIR is correct when they conclude that the chance of being murdered by a gun as risen over the past decade.

The murder rate by gun has increased 8.4% in the last decade.

Donnie simply used a measure demonstrating a conclusion not made by the story.

5. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

Here is my web blog: permen susu kambing

6. Mike Cochran says:

The gun portrayed in your picture is a S&W 625. A very small percentage of crimes are commited by legally purchased gun owners.

7. Mike Cochran says:

On top of that the aforementioned gun has absolutely nothing to do with the ‘horrific’ killings. Those were committed with an assault rifle. I can’t recall anyone going on a rampage with a revolver.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks